Lunch with Kat

I had the opportunity to have lunch with our blogstar over the weekend. She was feeling good enough that she cooked! I think that is a good sign! (It was yummy, too! Thanks!)

She looked great, wearing her "Hey Cancer, you picked the wrong bitch" t-shirt. She looked relaxed and rested, as a teacher on summer vacation should. Her hair is starting to grow back as soft down and she showed us that her eyebrows and eyelashes are coming back, too. (I must add here that I really am impressed how striking and beautiful women look without hair! It isn't what society tells us, but without hair a woman's face is more revealed and interesting--bone structure, eye color, strength of jaw, length of neck. Kat is no exception to this! Losing hair to kemo is no one's choice, but it does reveal elements of beauty that aren't always front and center when competing with a head of hair.)

Recovery from the surgery isn't going fast enough for her, but according to the doctor, she is an impatient patient! She has a couple more appointments coming up as they determine when/how to do the radiation to get the best effect. It continues to amaze me how individualized the treatment is. We have a tendency to think of disease treatment as a standardized thing, but with cancer it seems to be very much based on the specific person and their responses to the previous intervention. Hey, an assessment loop in everyday life! ;-)

On another note, I just noticed that we are past the 1100 mark on the number of hits to this blog. That is a great show of support everyone. Keep up the good work!

4 comments:

This is great news -- the feeling well enough to cook!
As an oncology nurse, I couldn't agree more -- many striking features are seen with the loss of hair. The amazing ways they can now assess which course of action is best for each patient is fantastic. Cure rates continue to rise! Of course having a great spirit helps! Way to go Kathy!!

 

Sooooo glad to hear of your increasing strength and recovery!!!
You are in our thoughts and prayers!! luv ya,

cuz from KS

 

Kelly, you are so articulate--even I felt as though "bald is beautiful" after I read your post. I saw the oncologist today, and she used the word "remission"! I need to heal more before radiation can start, but at least there's a dim light out there now!

Kathy AKA Blogstar

 

Time of an update...How has Kathy been doing this last month. Hope the Blogster Kelly has had some down time this past month as well.

A long overdue cyber-hug Kathy
LaVerne