Kathy's Breast Cancer
Type: Invasive Lobular Carcinoma (ILC)Prevalence: 20,000 women in U. S. per year, about 20% of all breast cancers
Most Common Type: Invasive Ductal Carcinoma (IDC)
Comparison:
Outlook for ILC more favorable than IDC
ILC more difficult to find with mammogram, usually larger at detection than IDC
Hormone effects: Hormone receptor positive, so this cancer is affected by hormones (estrogen or progesterone--I don't remember which one) and tamoxifen is being used.
Symptoms: Can cause thickening of breast tissue rather than a lump. Can also cause changes in skin texture. (This is important for people to know! You aren't just looking for lumps when you do a breast exam!)
The Diagnostic Tests: Mammogram followed by (in no particular order) ultrasound, MRI, and biopsy (am I missing anything, Kathy, seems like you had it all!)
Immediate plan: Two rounds of kemo, with 4 infusions each. Each infusion spaced two weeks apart (on Thursdays).
Later: Radiation and surgery then back to normal!

1 comments:
Kathy: The "Kicking it" site is great to catch up on you and your healing.
I just read the link to the Mayo Clinic's information about your type of breast cancer.
The article specifically says:
During your treatment, allow yourself time to rest. Take good care of your body by getting enough sleep, eating a healthy diet, staying as physically active as you're able and taking time to relax. Try to maintain at least some of your daily routine, including social activities.
So, I think it means you should be partying this weekend!
hugs, LaVerne
Post a Comment