Here is the short version of the story.
There was a lump. It got bigger. There was a mammogram, then an ultrasound, and then a biopsy. It wasn't good news. There was an oncologist, an ultrasound of the other breast, appointments in many flavors, none of them good. There are now dates calendared for chemo and plans discussed for mastectomy and reconstruction. Breast cancer sucks.
Here is the good news.
Kathy is a stubborn, tough, strong woman with a New York attitude. She has a husband, son, and daughter who will help her fight. She has stubborn, tough, strong women friends with attitude (although not from New York!). She has many, many friends and family who will be on her side in this fight. Breast cancer doesn't stand a chance.

6 comments:
Kelly: Thank you sincerely for starting this informational/supportive blog for Kathy. What a great way to get the information out. You are correct in thinking that 'one more person' to tell the story to can sometimes be difficult. Kathy is a fighter with a sense of determination coupled with an amazing humorous outlook. We are here for you Kathy...Cyber-HUG, LaVerne
I'm Kelly's aunt, and I HATE CANCER! Five years ago my daughter in law, mother of three small children, was diagnosed with breast cancer. She did the chemo,surgery,and more chemo and I'm happy to tell you that today she's a strong, healthy, mother and still doing the races and triathlons that she did in the past. I might add that Kelly's mom made her a wardrobe of knit hats to wear until she had back that darling hairdo like Kelly wears. Put in your order. Best of luck to you throughout this ordeal. Five years from now you too will look back and see it as an ordeal that only made you stronger. Kelly's aunt Pat
I am thrilled to be a part of Kathy's support network and will visit the blog often for updates and to read about the success of treatment each step of the way. Kathy, I am cheering you on every day, and know that you will insure those docs give you every tool you need to beat this. Stay strong, my friend--
Kathleen
Kathy,
You have been in my thoughts and prayers ever since you told me. Within 5 days of your news, I also learned my cousin was diagnosed with breast cancer...so I will be dying my hair PURPLE in 2010 to indicate a visual support for you both.
I see and know that you are positive, you are a fighter, and a very strong person. I believe these are great tools for the fight you are about to take on and conquer.
We will be walking the "Relay for Life" track together for a long time.
Kathy,
I know you can beat this! My mom and sister both had the same kind of breast cancer that you are battling. Both were stage 4 when diagnosed. Both had surgery, chemo and radiation. Both are now in remission. My sister says she will be happy to share any information you'd like to know about what to expect or just to talk. I'm always here too.
Jennifer
Kathy, all of the above and then some. I am especially impressed by your determination to carry on as normal a schedule as you can. That is very good news for the rest of us (especially as regards curriculum), but be careful not to let us wear you out. Because we will.
Meanwhile, I am looking through my library of murder mysteries and other fun reading, that might help pass the hours of chemo and rest.
Ann
Post a Comment